Assumption of costs by the statutory health insurers
Treatment at HIT is approx. three times as expensive as conventional radiation therapy, but is in the same magnitude as elaborate surgery and chemotherapy. The Klinik für Radioonkologie und Strahlentherapie at Heidelberg University Hospital signed a contract with the statutory health insurers, in which the costs for radiation therapy with protons and heavy ions will be assumed for all tumor patients who would benefit from such therapy in the estimation of the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Radioonkologie (DEGRO; German Society of Radiation Oncology).
This contract was concluded between Heidelberg University Hospital and the following health insurers:
- AOK Baden-Württemberg
- AOK Rheinland-Pfalz/Saarland
- Barmer GEK
- BKK Bosch
- BKK Daimler
- BKK, which are members within a consortium of health insurers in Baden-Württemberg (Mitgliedskassen der Vertragsarbeitsgemeinschaft Baden-Württemberg). Click here for more information
- Deutsche Angestellten-Krankenkasse (DAK)
- Handelskrankenkasse (hkk)
- Hanseatische Krankenkasse (HEK)
- IKK Classic
- Kaufmännische Krankenkasse (KKH)
- Techniker Krankenkasse (TK)
For patients insured with the above named insurance groups, the treatment costs of proton or heavy ion treatment will be covered. Patients insured with other health insurerances must submit an application for treatment coverage prior to particle therapy.