Gholamreza Darai has been a Professor at the Department of Virology until his retirement in 2005.
- Genome structure and coding strategies of animal viruses
- genomic properties, transcriptional activity, and gene function of the Molluscum contagiosum virus
- virus-host interaction and pathogenicity of hantaviruses
- prion diseases
- new strategies for vaccination.
For more information click here.
Helmut Fickenscher has been an Associate Professor for Clinical Virology at the department of Virology from 2001 to 2005.
- Herpesvirus saimiri-based T-cell vectors, Interleukin-26, Varicella-Zoster virus and neuropathic changes in infected sensory neurons, clinical virology
Members of the Fickenscher research group in Heidelberg:
Maria Anders (MTLA), Erika Ayllon (MTLA), Dipl. Biol. Oliver Braum, Dr. Mirko Kummer, Dr. Heide Pirzer, Dr. Michaela Schmidt, cand. med. Elisabeth Schneider, Dipl. Biol. Miriam Svorcova, Tuna Toptan MD, Lorena Urda (MTLA), Dipl. Biol. Niels Weinhold, Dipl. Biol. Felix Wussow
Since 2006 Professor Fickenscher is the Chair of Virology and Director of the Institute for Infection Medicine, University of Kiel and University Medical Center Schleswig-Holstein
Matthias Dittmar has been a group leader at the Department of Virology from 2000 to 2007.
- Inhibition of HIV entry
- post-entry restriction of HIV
Members of the Dittmar research group in Heidelberg:
Sabine Buschhorn (diploma student), Isabel Hagmann (TA), Patrick Kaumanns (PhD student), Sabine Lohrengel (PhD student), Julia Luksza (diploma student), Katharina Malinowski (PhD student), Thomas Neumann (TA), Heike Oberwinkler (TA), Sandra Reuter (PhD student), Laura Scrivano (diploma student).
Since 2007 Dr. Dittmar is Senior lecturer at the Institute of Cell and Molecular Science at the Queen Mary’s School of medicine and Dentistry in London.
Ralph Kehlenbach has been a group leader in the Department of Virology from 2000 to 2004
- nucleo-cytoplasmic transport, function of nucleoporins.
Members of the Kehlenbach research group in Heidelberg:
Marc Arnold, PhD student; Saskia Hutten, PhD student; Silvia Schütz, PhD student.
Dr. Kehlenbach is currently group leader at the Center for Biochemistry and Molecular Cell Biology (Biochemistry I) at the University of Göttingen
Ulrike Protzer has been a group leader in the Department of Virology.
- Hepatitis B virus: models for HBV infection, HBV based gene therapy vectors, Cytokine gene therapy against HBV.
Members of the Protzer research group in Heidelberg:
Jerome Dumortier, PhD student; Uta Klöcker, postdoc; Heike Oberwinkler, TA; Andreas Untergasser, PhD student
Prof. Dr. Protzer is currently the director of the Institute for Molecular Virology at the GSF research center in Munich and director of the Institute for Virology of the TU Munich.