Job Opening - Research Team Volker Lohmann
Open position on Norovirus research for a postdoctoral fellow or a PhD student
The Lohmann group focuses on various aspects of Hepatitis C virus (HCV) replication, including cell culture adaptation, structure-function analyses of the HCV polymerase, and identification of host cell factors involved in HCV replication. Additionally, the group studies the biology of clinically relevant enteric viruses such as human noroviruses (HuNoVs) and HAV. The aim of
this project is to identify inhibitors of HuNoVs, implementing a high-throughput screen targeting a protein-protein interaction and cell based screens on nucleoside analogues and bioactive compounds. Promising compounds will be further validated regarding their mode of action.
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral or PhD candidate to complement our research team and work on the project described above.
The project is funded by the Baden-Württemberg Stiftung for a duration of 3 years, the position is available immediately.
Desired qualifications are:
• For Postdoc candidates: A Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in biology or related field with a strong expertise in virology and cell culture.
• For PhD candidates: A master degree in biology or a related field, eligible for PHD studies at the Faculty of Biosciences of Heidelberg University.
• Profound knowledge in virology and cell biology.
• Solid experience in state-of-the-art cell and molecular biology techniques.
• Sound knowledge in virology and hands-on experience with light- and electron microscopy methods are of advantage.
• To work accurately and being able to conduct independent research, but also enjoying to work in an international and interdisciplinary environment. This includes being willing to advise students in the lab.
• Fluency in English language (written and spoken) is mandatory.
What we offer:
• A dynamic growth environment for your professional and personal advancement
• Access to state-of-the-art laboratories and infrastructure as well as flexible working hours
• Networking opportunity and visibility in wide-spread national networks of highest quality (like e.g. TRR179, DZIF)
• Access to many university-offers such as job-ticket, active health promotion and possibility of childcare (crèche and kindergarten)
• A creative and vibrant environment in an international, science-oriented, and one of the most beautiful cities in Germany
• An internationally highly competitive salary according to the Baden-Württemberg civil service remuneration system (TV-L E13)
Candidates interested in this position should send their application via Email until February 18th 2024 to
Heidelberg is a very active and lively center for research in the field of life sciences and medical research (https://www.uni-heidelberg.de/index_e.html). It is one of the leading centers in virus research as well as systems biology in Europe. The campus provides unique opportunities for basic research in life sciences and is well connected to external institutions such as the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) and the Max-Planck Institute for Medical Research.