Prof. Dr. med. Hans-Ulrich Kauczor, M.D.
Ärztlicher Direktor (Klinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie)
Direktor (Translational Lung Research Center Heidelberg)
Prüfarzt (Translational Lung Research Center Heidelberg)
Komm. Leitung (Abteilung für Translationale Pneumologie)
Ärztlicher / Beruflicher Werdegang
- seit 2012
Principal Investigator of the Translational Lung Research Center Heidelberg (TLRC) and the German Center for Lung Research (DZL)
- seit 2008
Full Professor and Chairman of Radiology at the University of Heidelberg
Medical Director of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the Heidelberg University Hospital
- 2003 – 2008
Full Professor for Radiology
Head of the Department of Radiology at the German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Heidelberg, Germany
- 2003 – 2010
Member of the Board of Managing Directors of the Comprehensive Cancer Center Heidelberg, Germany
- 1998 – 2002
Assistant Professor at the Department of Radiology, University of Mainz, Germany
- seit 1998
Postdoctoral Qualification as University Lecturer at the University of Mainz “Functional Imaging of Pulmonary Ventilation using CT and MRI”
- 1996 – 1998
Assistant Professor; Department of Radiology, University of Mainz, Germany
- 1994 – 1995
Fellowship Chest Radiology; Department of Radiology, University of Mainz, Germany
- 1989 – 1994
Residency in Radiology; German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) Heidelberg and University of Mainz, Germany, Board-Certification for Diagnostic Radiology
- 1983 – 1989
Medical School, Preclinical and clinical courses: University of Bonn, Germany,
Internship: University of Heidelberg, Germany, Final Medical Examination: Medical Doctor
Visiting Professorship Medical College Qingdao University, China
Kuhrt-Robb Distinguished Scholar of the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York
Award Society of Thoracic Radiolog
Holthusen-Ring of the German Radiological Society (DRG)
Colloquia Academica of the Academy of Science of Literature Mainz
Boehringer Ingelheim Award 1998
Award of the European Society of Thoracic Imaging
Poster Award of the German Radiological Society
Functional imaging of lung disease, Bio-Systems-Radiology, Pulmonary-cardio-vascular interaction
1. Imaging of chronic airway diseases. The junior research group “Structural and functional airway imaging” and its cooperating partners at the TLRC strive to develop new imaging techniques with focus on functional imaging, in order to gain new insight into regional lung function. Functional imaging in this respect encompasses ventilation, respiration and perfusion. These activities are integrated into the DZL disease areas Cystic fibrosis and COPD.
2. Cardiovascular imaging. Lung and heart function are inseparably linked, with imbalances in one organ system affecting the other. This has also led to a new understanding of COPD as a systemic disease. Several of our projects are focused on developing imaging strategies in pulmonary and cardiovascular disease, especially in relation to measuring fluid dynamics of the systemic and pulmonary circulation.
3. Lung cancer. By correlating innovative macroscopic, microscopic and molecular imaging with biomarkers of lung cancer, Prof. Kauczor’s team is aiming at identifying early predictors for the progression of lung malignancies and their response to specific therapy. Within specific TLRC projects, imaging will also contribute comparative data for early-response evaluation and long-term response to treatment with novel therapeutic approaches.
1. Biederer J, Dinkel J, Remmert G, Jetter S, Nill S, Moser T, Bendl R, Thierfelder C, Fabel M, Oelfke U, Bock M, Plathow C, Bolte H, Welzel T, Hoffmann B, Hartmann G, Schlegel W, Debus J, Heller M, Kauczor HU. 4D-Imaging of the lung: reproducibility of lesion size and displacement on helical CT, MRI, and cone beam CT in a ventilated ex vivo system. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009;73:919-26.
2. van Beek EJ, Dahmen AM, Stavngaard T, Gast KK, Heussel CP, Krummenauer F, Schmiedeskamp J, Wild JM, Sogaard LV, Morbach AE, Schreiber LM, Kauczor HU. Hyperpolarised 3He MRI versus HRCT in COPD and normal volunteers: PHIL trial. Eur Respir J 2009;34:1311-21.
3. Biederer J, Dinkel J, Bolte H, Welzel T, Hoffmann B, Thierfelder C, Mende U, Debus J, Heller M, Kauczor HU. Respiratory-gated helical computed tomography of lung: reproducibility of small volumes in an ex vivo model. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007;69:1642-9.
4. Dehnert C, Risse F, Ley S, Kuder TA, Buhmann R, Puderbach M, Menold E, Mereles D, Kauczor HU, Bartsch P, Fink C. Magnetic resonance imaging of uneven pulmonary perfusion in hypoxia in humans. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;174:1132-8.
5. Plathow C, Schoebinger M, Fink C, Hof H, Debus J, Meinzer H, Kauczor HU. Quantification of lung tumor volume and rotation at 3D dynamic parallel MR imaging with view sharing: preliminary results. Radiology 2006;240:537-45