Controlling in Health Insurance
(in cooperation with AOK International Consulting) (60 h investment time, 2 ECTS)
Controlling means preparing facts with the aid of number-based analysis. The controllers or the company managers must draw the right conclusions from the data collected. In this course the students will see how controlling can be organized and explains which different forms of controlling exist. This course presents the various instruments of operational controlling at health insurance companies (HIC), what constitutes management/control during the year and what activities and instruments are behind them. The Controlling Information System used at HIC is an application for the holistic support of controlling as
a management instrument. The strategic-process in a health insurance company, the principles of implementing and reporting of the strategic controlling are presented.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- understand the meaning and definitions of controlling
- analyze the differences between operative and strategic controlling
- apply and evaluate operative controlling for their own working environment
- understand and analyse the different phases of the objective-agreement-process
- analyse the principles of management during the course of the year
- evaluate the structure of a Controlling-Information-System
- understand that controlling is communicative process
- create a conception of strategic controlling to implement in their own working environment
- analyse different reporting channels
- analyse and apply the reporting with a Balanced Scorecard and evaluate the use of a driver tree.
The course is offered in four main Modules.
Module 1: Introduction to the basics of controlling
Module 2: Controlling in Health Insurance
Module 3: Objective-Agreement-Process in a Health Insurance Institution
Module 4: Conception of Strategic Controlling in a Health Insurance Institution
Public health professionals, Social protection sector professionals, policy makers, private companies and relevant public administrations, project planners and coordinators, postgraduate students, independent of the geographical origin.
This course is held in English. Fluency in English (Reading, Speaking and Writing) is required.
Teaching and Assessment
The course is offered as a self E-learning course, providing a flexibility to the students to enter and complete the modules at their convenience. It uses a mixture of provision of content in lecture modus, case studies on a practical implication of the concepts, self-test questions, case studies. Two electronic platforms for organizational questions and technical questions give at any time the opportunity for direct contact to the main tutor of the course and technical experts, who are ready to answer questions and give additional input in case of need. The course is with 60h students investment time, incl. modules completion, reading materials, discussions on the online platform, possible chats with tutors or experts.
Participants’ learning will be assessed on:
- Full completion of the modules and assignments within the modules (60%)
- Active participation in technical discussions on the platform of the course (10%)
- Final test (30%)
General Admission € 480
Registration All applications should be submitted online. The course is accessible at any time as soon as the registration is confirmed