Quality Improvement – A Prerequisite for Universal Health Coverage (UHC) in French
(in cooperation with AQUA Institute) (90 h investment time, 3 ECTS)
This short course gives a basic overview to the quality improvement concepts. Participants will be introduced to the current health system concept, and quality improvement strategies as well as quality and related financial concepts in the context of Universal Health Coverage. Participants will be exposed to examples of international quality problems and methods to identify improvement opportunities. More detailed and comprehensive information, linked specifically to the patient safety issues and human resources interventions towards quality improvement are included in other online courses we offer.
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
- Discuss why improving quality in health systems is essential for better health outcomes
- Explore key health system factors influencing quality of health care services
- Critically evaluate the rational and constrains of establishing regulatory frameworks to ensure quality
- Apply a systems approach using QI tools
- Design a monitoring or evaluation system for a QI process within current practice in a health setting
- Critically evaluate modern trends in health financing and their impact on quality of health care giving arguments for each in favour and against
- Module 1: Introduction to Quality and UHC
- Module 2: Frameworks and regulatory mechanisms
- Module 3: Systems approach to QI in current practice
- Module 4: Evaluating Quality
- Module 5: Universal Health Coverage and Quality Improvement
Public health professionals, Social protection sector professionals, policy makers, private companies and relevant public administrations, project planners and coordinators, postgraduate students, independent of the geographical origin.
This course is held in French. Fluency in French (Reading, Speaking and Writing) is required.
Teaching and Assessment
The course is offered as a self E-learning course, providing a flexibility to the students to enter and complete the modules at their convenience. It uses a mixture of provision of content in lecture modus, case studies on a practical implication of the concepts, self-test questions, case studies. Two electronic platforms for organizational questions and technical questions give at any time the opportunity for direct contact to the main tutor of the course and technical experts, who are ready to answer questions and give additional input in case of need. The course is with 90 h students investment time, incl. modules completion, reading materials, discussions on the online platform, possible chats with tutors or experts.
Participants’ learning will be assessed on:
- Full completion of the modules and assignments within the modules (60%)
- Active participation in technical discussions on the platform of the course (10%)
- Final test (30%)
General Admission € 600
Registration All applications should be submitted online. The course is accessible at any time as soon as the registration is confirmed